How can I help?
It’s easy to spread the word about the Poetry Night Reading Series and get involved in your local poetry community!
- Come to all our events! New events are posted regularly on the front page of this site, and upcoming readings are listed on this page.
- Read something at the open mic! Information about the open mic and how to sign up can be found here.
- If you haven’t already, join our Facebook group.
- Bring your friends to our events, or invite them to our Facebook group.
- Retweet or Digg our events by clicking on the “Tweet This” and “Digg This” icons found at the end of every post.
- Take pictures at our events and share them with us by sending them to email@example.com.
- Support the featured poets by purchasing their books.
- Print, and share our general advertisement fliers.
If you have a publication that advertises local events and would like to announce our readings, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org; we can send you the press releases directly.
How can I get my local poetry reading advertised on this site?
Send any inquiries about advertising local poetry events to email@example.com. We can advertise poetry events for Davis as well as the surrounding areas (Sacramento, Woodland, Dixon, Vacaville, etc.) You will likely need to prepare a press release for us, including information about the poet, information about the time and location, and a photo.
How can I be a featured reader?
Typically, featured readers at Poetry night have published two or more books (in addition to chapbooks) of poetry, have won poetry prizes, and/or have published a great number of poems in peer-reviewed journals. If you would like to be the featured reader for The Poetry Night Reading Series, you are welcome to send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your e-mail:
- A brief biography of your background in poetry/writing
- A list of publications and awards
- A sample of your poetry
- A website (or similar) for further information about your writing
Please note that by sending us an e-mail, you are not guaranteed a featured spot. If we do not have space or do not select to feature you for other reasons, we may offer that you be a guest on “Dr. Andy’s Poetry and Technology Hour,” a radio show on KDVS 90.3FM every Wednesday from 5 P.M. to 6 P.M.
How can I perform at the Open Mic?
There is a list available with Dr. Andy Jones, and you are encouraged to arrive early to sign up. The list fills up quickly, and spots are given on a first come, first serve basis. Entries are limited to two (2) pieces or 5 minutes, whichever is shorter. The Open Mic begins at 9 P.M., but the list is generally full by 8:00 or 8:15 P.M.
What happened to Bistro 33? Why don’t you have readings on Wednesdays anymore?
The Poetry Night Reading Series events now occur primarily at the John Natsoulas Gallery at 521 1st Street on the first and third Thursdays of the month. We appreciate the longtime sponsorship of poetry in Davis provided by Bistro 33. The Thursday night readings at the John Natsoulas Gallery begin at 8 P.M. and include an hour of reading by a featured performer followed by an Open Mic segment.
Where is the John Natsoulas Gallery?
Who is going to be reading next week? Next month?
Events are posted no later than a week before they occur. These updates can be viewed on the front page of this site, reached by selecting the “Home” tab. The long-term reading schedule can be found in the “Upcoming Performers” section of this site. This section is updated every few months, and contains information for 3 months worth of upcoming readings.
What if I have a question that hasn’t been answered here?
Direct all e-mails to Pia Baur at email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you!