How can I help?
It’s easy to spread the word about the Poetry Night Reading Series and get involved in your local poetry community!
- Come to all our events! New events are posted regularly on the front page of this site, and upcoming readings are listed on this page.
- Read something at the open mic! Information about the open mic and how to sign up can be found here.
- If you haven’t already, join our Facebook group.
- Bring your friends to our events, or invite them to our Facebook group.
- Retweet or Digg our events by clicking on the “Tweet This” and “Digg This” icons found at the end of every post.
- Take pictures at our events and share them with us by sending them to email@example.com.
- Support the featured poets by purchasing their books.
- Print, and share our general advertisement fliers.
If you have a publication that advertises local events and would like to announce our readings, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org; we can send you the press releases directly.
How can I get my local poetry reading advertised on this site?
Send any inquiries about advertising local poetry events to email@example.com. We can advertise poetry events for Davis as well as the surrounding areas (Sacramento, Woodland, Dixon, Vacaville, etc.) You will likely need to prepare a press release for us, including information about the poet, information about the time and location, and a photo.
How can I be a featured reader?
Typically, featured readers at Poetry night have published two or more books (in addition to chapbooks) of poetry, have won poetry prizes, and/or have published a great number of poems in peer-reviewed journals. If you would like to be the featured reader for The Poetry Night Reading Series, you are welcome to send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your e-mail:
- A brief biography of your background in poetry/writing
- A list of publications and awards
- A sample of your poetry
- A website (or similar) for further information about your writing
Please note that by sending us an e-mail, you are not guaranteed a featured spot. If we do not have space or do not select to feature you for other reasons, we may offer that you be a guest on “Dr. Andy’s Poetry and Technology Hour,” a radio show on KDVS 90.3FM every Wednesday from 5 P.M. to 6 P.M.
How can I perform at the Open Mic?
There is a list available with Dr. Andy Jones, and you are encouraged to arrive early to sign up. The list fills up quickly, and spots are given on a first come, first serve basis. Entries are limited to two (2) pieces or 5 minutes, whichever is shorter. The Open Mic begins at 9 P.M., but the list is generally full by 8:00 or 8:15 P.M.
Where is the John Natsoulas Gallery?
Who is going to be reading next week? Next month?
Events are posted no later than a week before they occur. These updates can be viewed on the front page of this site, reached by selecting the “Home” tab. The long-term reading schedule can be found in the “Upcoming Performers” section of this site. This section is updated every few months, and contains information for 3 months worth of upcoming readings.
What if I have a question that hasn’t been answered here?
Direct all e-mails to Pia Baur at email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you!